Wednesday 23 January 2013

Textiles Environment Design

Before I enrolled at Chelsea College of Art & Design, I researched quite a lot before deciding to take up a place, and one of the main things I noticed was the emphasis that was put on how important it is to be environmentally friendly while studying here and in general when creating art.  Textiles Environment Design is a collective group set up by staff and students that aims to develop a set of practice-based sustainable design strategies that have a reduced impact on the environment.  So while studying here and when I graduate and begin my own practice in designing textiles for fashion I will adhere to the 'TED Ten'...

1: Design to Minimise Waste
2: Design for Recycling/Upcycling
3: Design to Reduce Chemical Impacts
4: Design to Reduce Energy & Water Use
5: Design that Explores Clean/Better Technologies
6: Design that Looks at Models from History & Nature
7: Design for Ethical Production
8: Design to Replace the Need to Consume
9: Design to Dematerialise & Develop Systems & Services
10: Activism

We are living in a culture of vast consumerism and 'fast fashion' with shops like Primark producing endless cheap copies of designer trends.  People buy these clothes and think nothing of discarding them when worn a few times when the next trend comes on the scene. Most of these garments are produced overseas in sweatshops often unethically and using child labour.  This is not the type of industry I wish to be involved in.

My Manifesto

By following 'TED's 10', I hope to become a designer who produces fabrics or garments that will last, that are produced ethically and are kind to the environment.  I will try to the best of my ability, to research and apply alternative methods and practices when necessary to reduce any sort of negative impact on the world.  I will design and produce sustainable textiles, using the safest possible media with no need for waste during production.  They will be recyclable and bio-degradable when possible, and will hopefully contribute towards this cultures decline in 'fast fashion'.


No comments:

Post a Comment